Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fly Fishing for Steelhead

"Hooked"
36 x 36 Acrylic on Canvas w/ painted 2.5 wrapped sides

$1950


This is a steelhead, in all of it's glory, and some fly fisherperson's highlight of the day. One of the things that made me want to paint this scene is the incredible blue-green color of the water. Capturing the shimmer and motion of the fish and reflections above and below is exciting.
This painting was referenced from a photo by Tim Pask www.scanout.com
who generously allowed me to paint from it. I use many of my own photos to paint fish swimming in their natural habitat because I love the reflections of the water and the mystery of their moving forms under the surface. But I'm not set-up to take underwater photos. I always ask permission from photographers to paint from their photos if I see one that intrigues me. The painting is always different from the photo, as my work is impressionistic, but having a good photo is to work from is inspiring.
This painting was also in progress during the filming for Oregon Art Beat (OPB). I wanted to show both a pastel and an acrylic, a landscape and fish painting. Unfortunately at the stage it was in the fish looked suspiciously like a shark! I am depending on KC Cowan to show the final so I won't be embarrassed. Almost every painting has a point where it feels like I may not be able to make it work. Pushing through that defeating place is hard but can be rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment